oh christmas, i remember you, back in the OLD YEAR. 2010. so retro! turns out my dad and i look A LOT a like. this is us. pretty typical. he’s awesome with good taste in music. and since i haven’t gotten many new submissions to adorable dads! he is also the main dad of record.
it works, because he’s adorable. still: send in pictures.
(oh my god you have no idea how distracted i just got. let me show you my adhd train of internet nonsense: decided i needed to update adorable dads!->updated->updated on facebook->realized i also NEEDED to update twitter->logged in to adorable dads! twitter account->tweeted one link->starting reading tweets from the random people i have followed, mainly comedians->read someone’s retweet of gawker about sarah palin tweeting the word “homo”->ended up at this article->remembered i was blogging and came back here. 5 minutes. i completely forgot what i was doing. i can’t wait for peak oil and the end of the internet. then i can blog to myself in peace. or at least tell my monster babies stories about the days before fire-rain and cannibal bandits.) (if you wonder if i am having trouble with the line between fiction and reality, well, keep it to yourself.) (just kidding! let’s talk about it! what is fiction?!)
(now i just kicked over a full glass of water. this focusing is so hard.)
anyway, i thought earlier i was ready to make a list. not a list about silly old 2010 but a list about the arbitrary time that is the next 362 days. magical 2011. jade and i keep coming up with things that 2011 is going to be ALL ABOUT. because there is so much potential right now. here are some of mine:
1. awesome outfits. i think i will be wearing cooler clothes in 2011. mainly because i want to. and since my sparkle skirt was so well received at work i think i can say with almost complete certainty that i will not have to buy anymore goddamn calf-length skirts this year.
2. mormon fashion blogs. i am sort of obsessed with the strange combination of strict religious belief and fashion! i’m trying to figure out the connection, what it means for me and for america. i think this will be a long-term research project.
3. uncomfortable conversations about things i did in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2004. i was always pretty sure that if i wrote a book all people who know me well would hate me. or not sure, just concerned it was a likely possibility. so far, the impressive thing is that most people just want to talk about it–what’s “true,” especially, which is a tricky question. i imagine these conversations will continue into 2011 and i will get better at them. i will also probably be forced to discuss non-book-related choices i made in 2010 too, in some rather uncomfortable settings. see below:
4. radical honesty/treating people like i want to be treated. though i am generally an extreme (to the point of discomfort) honest person, there were a few things that i did in the second half of 2010 just basically to see what would happen that were not necessarily the most ethical or honest things. i want to think more about them and decided what they mean to me. i think i want my intention for the whole year to be “treat other people like i want to be treated.” i have to decide who that extends to. for example, i am limiting to people, yes but people i know? like how is my buying clothes made in china affecting people in factories? anyway, i think that would be an interesting intention, even if it’s a little fruity or whatever. i mean, yeah, it’s really fruity, especially since i just said “intention” but still.
5. get something sorted/get another thing unsorted. i would like to get at least one of the unsorted things in my life worked out, maybe three. here are some of the things: i need to get a doctor and go to it; i need to figure out what i want to do in a more long-term sense, realistically; i need to pay off my credit cards; i need to promote my book so hard i couldn’t possibly promote it any harder; i need to decide if san francisco is where i want to be right now; i need to get my writing practice back in order.
i also hope a new thing comes up to be unsorted about. something totally insane that i would have never ever thought would happen. i hope it isn’t anything too awful, especially i don’t want any brain diseases. but something. something interesting.
okay. now it is 10:20pm WHICH IS MY BEDTIME. xoxoxo